Sunday, July 09, 2017

pearl necklace

$150 - 11x14" original watercolour painting
This awesome model showed up for my portrait session wearing this great big pearl necklace and turquoise tiara. She was such a pleasure, and challenge, to paint. Below are a few step by step pictures.
The pencil block in really has to be 'right' before proceeding. When I am drawing I just keep measuring and measuring and comparing and comparing. Using horizontal and vertical lines to sort of 'scaffold' my way around the drawing. Almost like using an invisible grid.
I paint from top to bottom. I used cadmium red, cerulean blue and brown umber. I added some rose madder for the purples.
Here's the almost finished painting. I felt happy with her portrait after the three hour session, but I did have to finish the pearl necklace at home. Looking at the finished product now, it may have to be darkened in between the pearls so that the highlights pop. Hmm. Might do that today. : )

No comments:

Post a Comment